Career Development
When I hear the
word “career development” I think about a life long journey. It’s a journey
where people can learn about themselves, and what their likes and dislikes are
when it comes to employment. It’s the journey of setting goals for one self and
pushing to accomplish them. I believe that once you reach a goal you should
start the process of creating a new goal to aim towards. This way a person can
feel as if their career development never ends. Setting goals regarding your
career can help people look at their jobs differently and keep them from being
burned out with the same everyday tasks.
I have reflected
on the multiple jobs that I had before going into graduate school. I worked at
an amusement park, at a baseball stadium, as a cashier, as a receptionist, and
as a case worker for the Children and Youth Agency. Even though I did not fully
like those jobs I do appreciate the skills that I have obtained. I have learned
how to deal with people and understand how the environment influences their
actions. Working at those places made me realize that I want to choose a
different career path where I am able to implement my passion for helping
children.
According to Duane
Brown (2016), career intervention is a good way to increase the aspect of a
person’s career development. That can be done in different ways such as career
counseling, career guidance, career education, and career coaching. As for me I
work at an elementary school where students are not exposed to career
education, and I believe that is something that should be changed. Educating
children about different careers early on can give them a head start when
having to choose a major for college, when deciding to go straight into the
work field, or even when deciding to join the army. Career education provides
people with occupational information by maybe taking field trips or having
speakers who talk about their jobs.
Students tend to
start thinking about careers when they’re about to graduate and are pressured
into choosing a field that they would like to work in. There are students who
have never had guidance regarding choosing a career. Even though there are
guidance counselors within schools they don’t always do the best of job when
having to “guide” their students. In conclusion career development is a life
long journey that should begin in earlier in life instead of later.
Bibliography
Brown, D. (2016). Career information, career counseling,
and career development. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
No comments:
Post a Comment